Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » 8start Launcher » Need Help

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:31 pm 

I have entered a few programs into 8start. After I have entered a few items and exited, I start the 8start program and get this error message:

"Run-time error 0 Subscript out of range."

I cannot run the program any more, even if I restart the computer. All attempts to run the program abend with this message.

If I uninstall and reinstall the program, it runs OK until I make entries of programs. Then the same error situation occurs.

My environment is Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2.

Richard

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:33 pm 

To implement the transparency skin, 8start Launcher will not display properly if the default Windows display have been changed.

Here the summary of the requirement for 8start Launcher 1.4
1.) screen display must be 96dpi
2.) icons size must be 32x32 pixel (this maybe the cause)
3.) cleartype font have to disable
4.) some utilities to resize the windows icon size will make 8start Launcher crash. (this maybe the cause)

Still working of the solution, have search a lot in the web but still haven't found yet.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:49 am 

Thanks, Andy.

I like your program idea very much. I have worked in software usability, and I'm happy to make suggestions here.

From my point of view, the program's present display criteria that you reported above impose major restrictions on normal users. It is logical to assume that many users will change their display characteristics for various reasons. I'd think that to solve these problems, some form of "normalizing" the images may be required. The program needs to be able to easily accomodate people who use different resolutions, for example.

In looking for icons to use with your program, I quickly discovered that different people have different concepts of what an icon is. I found some that were uniform, some that were huge, and some that were tiny. But in order to work well in your program, it might be best if they all were translated into images that were approximately the same size.

If the main problem is transparency of a skin, I'd be willing to forego the transparency in order to retain the use of the Launcher. What's important is the function of the launcher, not the transparency feature.

Richard

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:39 pm 

Andy, I want to ask you about a work-around that I might be able to use for the time being.

Is it possible for me to turn off the transparency feature? If I do this, will I be able to use the program with stability?

I'd rather be able to use your program with an opaque display, since having transparency is not a feature that I care about.

Thanks

Richard

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:07 pm 

In 8start Luancher 1.4, the display method have been rewrite to support the transparency feature. It may take me more time to add in the non transaprency option rather than find the solution to solve some screen display problem.

Below is the email of 8start Launcher user who may have the same problem like you.

"With a fresh O/S, I installed 8Start and it worked like a charm. Upon installing programs, I regularly checked if 8Start was still working fine, and it did, until I installed TuneUp Utilities 2007.

In TuneUp Utilities there is the option to reduce desktop icon size to 24x24 instead of 32x32. That was the problem. As soon as I switched to 24x24, 8Start crashed."

I believe 8start Launcher wont be crash if you do not use the 3rd party desktop tool.

If you ready like to use 8start Launcher with customise your screen display, you can download 8start Launcher 1.3.

I already working hard for the solution, please allow some more time for me to solve it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:54 am 

Hi Richard and All,

I am currently using 8Start version 1.3 because I don't want to give up the use of ClearType on my ViewSonic LCD monitor. This version seems very stable -- more so than many other launcher applications -- and aside from the transparency feature, seems to do everything version 1.4 does. I will continue to use this version until Andy finds a fix for the font issues.

-- Brett

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:57 am 

Thanks to both of you.
I will try the earlier version.

Yes: I know that I have changed something in the screen resolution a long time ago, probably to achieve a crisper picture with my LCD monitor. The utility that I would have used to do this with would have been something native to Windows XP Professional (SP 2). I'm not using any third-party screen tweakers, and none came with the monitor itself.

Andy, you have done some interesting things with color that I haven't seen from other programmers. You have an unusual ability to relate to the needs of end users that is also quite rare among software designers.

Richard

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:00 am 

I need help in order to download v1.3; it's not on CNet any more.

Richard

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:18 am 

Thanks all, here the link for you to download 8start Launcher 1.3
http://www.8start.com/8startLauncher1.3.zip

Please note that it does not support the skin with .png extension, most of the old skins in the skin page can be use in version 1.3 (please check the skin folder, ensure no .png files before using that skin)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:46 pm 

Thanks.

Version 1.3 is working perfectly so far. I have downloaded at least 14 skins. So far, only one of them contains .png files, so going back to v1.3 is no loss to this user.

Please add the word "Beta" to the designation of version 1.4 until you have solved the compatibility problem. The reason is that for many potential users, this will be a real problem. It is reasonable to assume that many of your users will, in fact, have adjusted their display resolutions for various reasons, the same way that I did. Many of these people will just experience the program crash as proof of a problem program; they'll just walk away, and that would be unfortunate.

Some of these reasons why people need their screen variations are:

- They have small monitors.
- They have huge monitors.
- They want to change their resolutions to fit more on their screens or improve legibility.
- They are visually handicapped.

For these reasons, it is only proper to consider v1.3 the stable release version, and v1.4 to still be experimental.

Do you agree?

Richard

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:21 pm 

Every new version of 8start Launcher normally I have a long period of testing before it launched.

I have to say that before lauching 8start Launcher 1.4, it have been tested and used by 8start Launcher users and me for about 1 month, the problem you reported did not happend in our system.

My opinion is if users can use 8start Launcher without problem, then better use this latest version, as it have a lot of improvement after 1.3. And I believe most of the users did not encounter problem for version 1.4

I think if new users encounter problem and they are interested using 8start Launcher, they will email to me or visit this forum, I will provided the help for them.

I strongly agree with you that 8start Launcher have to support all kind of Windows configuration, but I am not agree that 8start Launcher 1.4 is a experimental version.

I will try my best to make it better.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:05 pm 

I've been redirect here from
http://www.8start.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=19
unfortunatelly i've got the same problem.
And I'm not the administrator of the machine.
Now with 1.3 and his "portabilization" i'm able to use it
Thank you
Runner75

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:19 pm 

If you want to add transparency to 1.3, there's a great little app called Glass2K. Its been around a while, is described as a Beta but unlike many free transparency tools does n't seem to interfere with other apps transparency settings; the only one I've had a problem with is Konfabulator aka Yahoo! Widget engine.
Find it at:

http://www.chime.tv/products/glass2k.shtml

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:59 am 

A good news that finnally I found the solution may able to solve this problem, is in the way to change the program code

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:12 pm 

After a long time research, finally I found the way to solve the problem below, please download the beta version, let me know if you have any problem using this beta version.

[Solved]
===========
- Crash in some computer
- Modified icons not able to show
- No more extra arrow in some icon
- tested in TuneUp Utilities 2007
- should able run in Windows Vista (I don't have Windows Vista to test, please let me know the result :) )

Intruction of using 1.4.1 beta 1
==================================
- You must have version 1.4 installed
- download the 8start Launcher 1.4.1 beta 1 here -> www.8start.com/8start1.4.1beta1.zip (deleted, superceded by final verion 1.4.1)
- unzip and replace the 8start.exe in your computer/flash drive with this one

Board index » 8start Launcher » Need Help