Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » 8start Launcher » Need Help

Post subject: Run-time error '6': Overflow problem workaround
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:17 pm 

I downloaded 8Start Launcher 1.7 today and installed it on my Windows XP Pro x64 SP2 PC running on an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor with 512 MB of RAM. I installed the launcher and started to add my program icons so I could clear my desktop. When I clicked on the Apply button I received the error I listed above. I did the typical thing and uninstalled and reinstalled the launcher. I then came to this forum and started reading. Afterwards I started again and this time added icons one at a time (selected and applied individually) to find which icons were causing me problems.

After chasing down one theory and failing to find the solution, from the Windows desktop I right clicked on one of the problematic icons and opened the properties box. Then on the "shortcut" tab I clicked on the button to change the icon. In this case, Photoshop presented a number of icons to choose from so I just picked one that I liked. I then applied the change and exited the properties box. I then opened 8Start again and this time it accepted the alternative Photoshop icon without displaying the error or crashing the program. I don't know if this will be the case with anybody else, but it did work for me.

I want to admit here that I have no idea how the characteristics of one icon differ from another (beyond the obvious: it links to a different program). So if anyone knows, I would really appreciate a reply letting me know. Here is something else that is a little strange: I have another PC running Windows XP Pro SP2 on an Intel processor (32-bit) and I installed 8Start Launcher on that computer as well. However, I can load icons for some of the same programs on that PC into 8Start without crashing the launcher or invoking the error. What's that about???

Note: If your program does not have alternative icons in its own folder, you can use one from Windows. From the icon properties box described above, you will click on the change icon button and then browse to C:\WINNT\system32\SHELL32.DLL (in Win2K) or C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.DLL (in Win XP) and select the one you want. Just remember to click on the apply button.

Board index » 8start Launcher » Need Help