Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » 8start Launcher » Need Help

Post subject: All White & Nothing Runs
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:08 am 

I am using (actually, I'm able to) v1.8 and I just installed it today (8/8/09).

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 w/4GB RAM.

1) The whole app turns white and I can't click on anything in it, not even the menus, which I cannot even see anyway, but I know where they are in the app, but nothing happens. It stays white.

The way that I get it to show its screen again, is by double clicking the icon in the System Tray. Then everything reappears again. But it does happen again every now and then.

I do run a little utility called "WinFlip" that adds Vista like window flipping to XP and it does make the screen blank for a second when it first loads at bootup and I'm wondering if there's some kind of graphical conflict there?

2) I easily added icons into the "General" area, making my little groups and everything and added about 25 icons and all looked well, until I tried to run one of them.

Not one of them will work and from what I'm reading here, A LOT OF PEOPLE are having this problem and no one has received a solution.

I did go into the "Organize" menu option and then went to "Open File Explorer" and went into it and double clicked on the programs I had added in there and they all ran fine. But from the graphical program's main screen, not one of them will run. I shut down everything that was running on my machine in the System Tray, but it still won't work.

So I guess my question is to Andy (unless someone else has the answer), as to whether or not this is a problem that can be solved? It seems like the folks with the problem are just left sitting there, with no help, getting frustrated.

This must be something in the program itself, since so many people are having the exact same problem. There's no way it's coincidence and it can't be their fault, since the program is so easy to set up. And I've been a tech for 30 years and I'm having the same problem and like I said, I just installed this app and they won't run from the very first time I clicked on the icons.

Any ideas???

Post subject: Re: All White & Nothing Runs
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:46 pm 

Hi Giant Waffle, have you posted the problem on WinFlip forum?
8start launcher is not perfect but there is the possibility that the problem is WinFlip and not 8start.
I'm not an expert like Andy, or as the author of WinFlip, any way sets winflip with these parameters

Close both programs and run it again.
To quickly jump to 8start set and enables the hotkey directly from 8start (Settings...).
Remember that currently 8start support only 96 dpi.
Tell me if it works!

FL

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:39 am 

Fabio Longo wrote:
Hi Giant Waffle, have you posted the problem on WinFlip forum?
8start launcher is not perfect but there is the possibility that the problem is WinFlip and not 8start.
I'm not an expert like Andy, or as the author of WinFlip, any way sets winflip with these parameters

Close both programs and run it again.
To quickly jump to 8start set and enables the hotkey directly from 8start (Settings...).
Remember that currently 8start support only 96 dpi.
Tell me if it works!

FL

Yes, that seems to have worked! Thanks!!! :)

Btw, do you know if there's a way to make it so that 8Start always appears in the same place on the screen, instead of wherever my mouse is? To make it "dock" (I know, bad word) like, to the left of the screen or something?

FYI, I don't use my mouse to bring it up. I have that disabled. I use only a keyboard combo to bring it up.

Thanks again! :)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:10 pm 

Sorry! No, currently 8start appears in previous position only with tray icon.
I have just requested this option over a year ago, ...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=272

I hope that Andy remember to put it in the next version. :)

Last edited by Fabio Longo on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:15 pm 

Fabio Longo wrote:
Sorry! No, currently 8start appears in previous position only with tray icon.
I have just requested this option over a year ago, ...

http://www.faqtup.com/browse.php/Oi8vd3 ... 90a2V5/b5/

I hope that Andy remember to put it in the next version. :)

That link isn't properly clickable. You don't get all of it. You might want to check out www.tinyurl.com

Anyway, when I went to respond, it showed it all to me as just text and so I copied and pasted it in two sections, since it line wrapped. :)

Anyway, that thread doesn't say what I was talking about though. See the new thread I started under Suggestions. I forget what it's called, but you'll know it when you see it. There are two suggestions in it. :)

Going back to the WinFlip issue, I wonder if it really needs to be in the exception list. I will try just the "use system memory" trick and see if I can leave it in the "flip list" and let you know, okay? :)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions though and thanks again for your help! :)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:50 pm 

Link correct (it is because I had browsed through another website 8) ).
As far as I can, it's always a pleasure to solve problems. :)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:48 pm 

Fabio Longo wrote:
Link correct (it is because I had browsed through another website 8) ).
As far as I can, it's always a pleasure to solve problems. :)

I tried it without it in the exception list and it didn't work. So that is the key! :)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:41 am 

The link in edit post for me work!
(Of course I can not edit your reply)

http://8start.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=272
Code:
http://8start.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=272

Practically is the first post that mentioned the suggestion...

Board index » 8start Launcher » Need Help